To ensure success, Encore Azaleas must be planted correctly. Here are tips for planting and caring for Encore Azaleas.
- Turn the soil well and dig a hole twice as wide as it is deep.
- Mix some organic material with some soil. Put a little bit of this mixture into the hole.
- Remove the azalea from its container and loosen the root ball lightly with your fingers.
- Set the plant into your prepared hole, making sure the top of the root ball is slightly above soil level. Make sure the root ball is moist.
- Pull the soil around the plant, water thoroughly and cover with mulch.
- Encore Azaleas perform best in sun to high filtered shade. Four to six hours of sun or filtered shade per day will help guarantee optimal blooms.
- Dry, windy conditions and severe drought can impact performance, but once established, Encore Azaleas are tolerant of more intense stresses.
- Best in USDA Zones 6-9. For zones 5-6, introduce in a sheltered location during spring.
- Encore Azaleas will suffer or die if planted too deeply. Plant them so that the top of the root ball is even with or slightly above the existing soil level.
- Spring planting requires watering well. Keep soil moist until winter.
- Newly planted azaleas require routine watering the first year, but once established, do not require frequent watering. Cover young azaleas in extreme conditions. do not fertilize until after the last frost.
- Remember to water in times of drought.
For additional planting tips, watch this how-to video featuring Buddy Lee, the inventor of Encore Azaleas:
For more garden ideas, click here.
To browse the full Encore Azalea collection, click here.
Encore Azalea is the best azalea you’ll ever plant. Encore Azaleas are the world’s best-selling re-blooming azalea with rich, colorful blooms in spring, summer and fall. Encore Azaleas have 33 varieties of bloom colors and sizes to choose from and thrive equally well in high filtered shade or sunny locations – unlike any other azalea in the world. Find a retailer near you.